GOTSCRAP SCHOOL PROGRAM
When most people hear the word "recycling", they think of newspapers, cans and bottles. But there's another kind of recycling called Scrap Metal Recycling. It can help raise money for your school.
Scrap Metal Recycling includes everything from cars, dishwashers, washing machines, stoves and refrigerators to barbecues, bicycles, lawnmowers, construction metal–and, yes, even aluminum cans!
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
The "Learn. Recycle. Earn." Program was created by GotScrap.com to achieve three important goals:
- 1 to raise awareness among high school and college students about the benefits of scrap metal recycling
- 2 to promote recycling at school and at home
- 3 to offer fundraising opportunities for school clubs, groups or organizations
When your school club, group or organization creates a one-day or ongoing Scrap Metal Recycling drive, you can quickly raise money for the programs you value or the equipment you need! We can help you plan and organize a successful fundraising project—and you can start today!
IDEAS FOR ORGANIZING YOUR SCHOOL'S SCRAP DRIVE
- 1 For four to six weeks prior to the actual event, recycling collection bins can be placed on campus so that students can drop off cans(and plastic bottles) at their convenience. This can be established as a one-time event or as an ongoing fundraising source.
- 2 The local community (family, friends, neighbors, neighborhood businesses) can also be invited to bring scrap metal to a campus drop-off site on a designated day. Trucks from GotScrap.com will remove all donations the same day, so space or storage is never an issue.
- 3 Parents can be invited to involve their companies and employers.
- 4 All donated items will be sorted, weighed and sold at our market value for scrap, and every dollar raised will come back to your school in the form of a check made payable to the organizing student club or group. It's an efficient, profitable way to quickly raise money for student programs and equipment.
WHERE YOU CAN FIND SCRAP METAL
One person's trash really can be another person's treasure! Scrap metal is everywhere! Talk with your family, friends, neighbors and local businesses to see if they have old appliances they'd like to get rid of. Clean out your garage. Bring aluminum cans (and plastic bottles) to recycling bins at school.
SCRAP METAL RECYCLING 101
- 1 Scrap metal recycling is the most popular–and profitable–form of recycling in the United States.
- 2 What Can You Recycle? Scrap Metal is any kind of metal that is no longer useful and can be sold for recycling. In addition to aluminum cans, this includes cars, home appliances (dishwashers, washing machines, refrigerators, stoves, etc.), barbecues, bicycles, construction metal, forklifts, tractors, etc.
- 3 Our mega shredder shred 350 tons of material per hour. A car can be shredded in only 7 seconds!
- 4 Material is shredded into 2 to 4 inch pieces and is separated by a magnetic sorting system. Non-metal material is sorted for recycling or landfill use. By the end of the process, 98% of an item has been recycled.
- 5 The scrap metal is sold to steel mills in the United States and throughout the world, where it's melted and used to create new products.
HOW YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE:
WHY RECYCLING MATTERS
When you donate to our Scrap Metal Recycling Drive, you're doing a lot more than helping us raise money. You're also:
- 1 helping reduce pollution and climate change
- 2 reducing the negative impact on air quality and green spaces
- 3 lowering the demand for energy use and expensive fuels
- 4 conserving and protecting our natural resources
- 5 reducing the need for landfills
DID YOU KNOW?
- 1 Recycling one car saves the energy equivalent of 502 gallons of gasoline–and reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 8,811 pounds!
- 2 Recycling one refrigerator saves the energy equivalent of 36 gallons of gasoline–and reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 566 pounds!
- 3 Recycling 10 pounds of aluminum cans saves the energy equivalent of 7 gallons of gasoline–and reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 16 pounds!
CALL 1-800-GOT-SCRAP? FOR ASSISTANCE IN GETTING THIS PROGRAM STARTED FOR YOUR SCHOOL.
Now Offering Pickups
For a small freight fee, we offer full-service SCRAP removal for your home or business. At the moment we are removing SCRAP from homes and businesses throughout most of California. Call or click to set an appointment.Learn More